Search This Blog

01 October 2009

more urination research

Click image for larger, clearer. If you want to.

I absolutely do not know why urination seems to have snagged my addled attention, but after this post, I'll try to get a grip and return to my usual posts about profound matters, ethics, politics, war and peace, ethereal art, architecture and music, frontiers of scientific research, the existence of God, etc.

I mean, that's what Vleeptron's famous for, that's why all nine of you are so addicted to Vleeptron.

But tonight -- posting on the Wi-Fi with the nifty Sony laptop in that antique 1849 train depot Hotel Coolidge in Vermont -- we got a fly in a urinal.

The urinal is in a lavatory in Schiphol, Amsterdam's airport.

The fly isn't just in one lonely urinal.

There's a fly in every urinal in Schiphol.

And they're not real flies. They're manufactured and etched into the porcelain bowl.

A guy would have to lean down into the urinal and look very closely to realize it's not really a fly.

(Please don't let me stop you from closely examining the urinals the next time you're whizzing at Schiphol.)

Why did they put a faux fly in every urinal?

They researched the problem of sloppy male urination, which is so costly, unsanitary, and vile to clean up. At a place like Schiphol, we're talking about hundreds of liters / gallons of spilled nasty urine every day.

But when a man sees a fly in the urinal, he gets focused, he gets serious. He aims for the fly.

He's no longer just idly voiding his bladder.

Now he has a job to do: He must drown that fly, he must kill that nasty fly.


The manufactured faux fly in the urinals in Schiphol reduces spillage by 80 percent.

5 comments:

James J. Olson said...

Bob: Look more closely. It's not a fly, its a bee. The latin for bee is apis. Get it?

James J. Olson said...

And, it is placed in just the optimal spot to minimize splashback.

Vleeptron Dude said...

apis ... apis ... apis ... no, I don't get it.

Yes I do. You win the Worst Pun Ever on Vleeptron Award.

GUESS WHERE I AM!!! GUESS WHERE I AM??? I'm using the Wi-Fi at the Whately Truck Stop Diner!!! 10 am, not too crowded ... but no Morticia. I wonder whatever became of Morticia ...

I'm gonna try to post about what I'm doing here with the laptop, wish me luck. Maybe I'll pay them $1 and take a shower. I've always wanted to do that.

Vleeptron Dude said...

Oh, for purposes of Good Health, I am NOT ordering the Eggs Benedict. I'm having

blueberry pancakes
link sausages
maple syrup
grapefruit juice
coffee

A trucker next to me (not speaking French) is esting the Heavy Hauler. Don't ask. It'll be a miracle if he lives as long as Hartford.

Okay, here's the Heavy Hauler:

3 eggs any style
2 pancakes
bacon
sausage
toast
hash brown potatoes or home fries

James J. Olson said...

Ah, the Whatley Diner. I could be convinced to make a late night road trip up there some time. Its maybe an hour and a half north of here. Oh, and you're going to have to call me with your new phone number.