Search This Blog

25 June 2007

the Gerrymander -- a creature beloved of all voting district shape Artistes in democracies all over the planet

If you click, you might be able to see the names of the towns in this strangely-shaped election district: Salem, Chelsea, Haverhill, Andover, etc.

I am so proud to live in Massachusetts! Wherever on Planet Earth parliaments and legislatures draw and re-draw voting districts for democratic elections, they speak in reverent hushed tones of my Governor Elbridge Gerry, and the Salamander-shaped voting district he created before an 1812 Senate election!

I think my new 2nd Congressional District looks like a camel. What creature or beast do you see? Please Leave A Comment.

btw you pronounce Gerrymander with a soft G, but Gerry himself used a hard G for his name. I have no idea where the heck "Elbridge" came from, it's certainly not in the Old Testament.

Gerry pops up in American history twice. Every schoolchild (except the Home Schoolers) has to spend a day learning about the XYZ Affair, a US diplomatic mission to France in which our diplomats were being forced to bribe French government officials before they'd let them get on with their diplomatic business. Or something like that -- that test in junior high school was a long time ago. Anyway, Gerry was either X or Y or Z.


Actually this season I sincerely am extremely proud to live in Massachusetts, and maybe I'll get around to posting about the source of my local pride soon. My Massachusetts got something right now that no other USA state has! (HINT: It's not the Red Sox.)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

MA has just one Bob Merkin.No other state has! Uwe

James J. Olson said...

(um, massachusetts is technically a commonwealth, not a state. no real big difference, though its official name is the commonwealth of massachusetts.)

(oh, and i recuse myself from this particular pizzaq.)

Vleeptron Dude said...

well i was actually very careful not to call Massachusetts a state -- the phrase I used is "all the other states." Virginia is a Commonwealth too and I think maybe Kentucky. I'm too spacey right now to research who's a state and who's a Commonwealth.

And every county is a county, except in Louisiana, where counties aren't counties, but Parishes.

As we like to say on Planet Vleeptron, a spluuutzooo by any other name would smell so sweet.

I wasn't offering pizza for the Unique Thing that my Massachusetts has going for it amongst "all the other [49] states" [and/or commonwealths].

But what the hell -- it's damn well worth 4 slices (transportation and shipping not included). So keep guessing.

HINT: It's a substantial human accomplishment, not some freaky kind of accidental thing, like a volcano that spews soda pop. (There's one of those in Africa.)

HIYA UWE GOT YOUR ART THANKS!! Where ya going for summer holiday?

Anonymous said...

Hi Bob,
the little pictures are sort of Vignettes for the first picturebook I ever made.Das Pralinenkuglerlied. Illustrations guiding the text.To answer your question.We gonna have one week of vacation this year.Spending it in Mecklenburg Vorpommern at the lakes.7th July we´ll get vistors from Worcester, MA and will also watch the New England Festival Chorus (Worcester Master Singers and Sailsbury Singers) performing in Osterkirche.

James J. Olson said...

If someone guesses what it is that Massachusetts has that noone else does, I will send them a copy of the one that I have.

Vleeptron Dude said...

gosh, it's not like it was a quiet or shy thing. a pretty loud, noisy thing, I'd call it, and certainly translated into lots of languages.

Mike Stone said...

I don't actually know the answer to this one, and since all I heard from my last Pizza Question answer was the quiet chirping of crickets, I'll see if anybody else is going to answer first. :)

Anonymous said...

Oh I knwo now, Switzerland also has it, we got it fairly recently. I think it was even a subject here on Vleeptron. At the time we got it there was a lot of noise about it here in CH but that has died down, not even the conservative EVP loonies metion it anymore. or maybe they will, when we will have elections in the Fall.

Camel ??? Where do you see a bloody Camel ???

Vleeptron Dude said...

Nicht hier ist der Camel. Der Camel ist hier:

http://vleeptronz.blogspot.com/2007/06/cnns-real-cool-survey-of-every-member.html

This old voting district was clearly a Salamander. But in my new 2nd Congressional District (circa 1998), you still don't see a camel? Well, the Camel is kneeling on the sand, so he has no legs. But I say Camel. See the Hump.

www.cuenca-3d.com said...

It can't work in reality, that is exactly what I suppose.