Search This Blog

24 November 2009

The New York Society for the Suppression of Vice / burning books since 1873 / party's over

To the best of my knowledge, this is the only insignia for any organization on Earth which proudly displays one of its central activities: burning books.

I dunno what the Society is proudly throwing a man into the can for. I suspect they caught him having some kind of Fun.

They lost bigtime when they tried to ban "Jurgen" by James Branch Cabell, but (Wikipedia:)

In 1920 after the magazine The Little Review serialized a passage of the book Ulysses [by James Joyce] dealing with the main character masturbating, the New York Society for the Suppression of Vice, who objected to the book's content, took action to attempt to keep the book out of the United States. At a trial in 1921 the magazine was declared obscene and as a result Ulysses was banned in the United States.

I think it's legal to buy it in the USA now, but don't take my word for it.

No comments: