- Stand back! (Vladimir and Estragon move away from Lucky. Pozzo jerks the rope. Lucky looks at Pozzo.) Think, pig! (Pause. Lucky begins to dance.) Stop! (Lucky stops.) Forward! (Lucky advances.) Stop! (Lucky stops.) Think!
- On the other hand with regard to—
- Stop! (Lucky stops.) Back! (Lucky moves back.) Stop! (Lucky stops.) Turn! (Lucky turns towards auditorium.) Think!
- During Lucky's tirade the others react as follows.
- 1) Vladimir and Estragon all attention, Pozzo dejected and disgusted.
- 2) Vladimir and Estragon begin to protest, Pozzo's sufferings increase.
- 3) Vladimir and Estragon attentive again, Pozzo more and more agitated and groaning.
- 4) Vladimir and Estragon protest violently. Pozzo jumps up, pulls on the rope. General outcry. Lucky pulls on the rope, staggers, shouts his text. All three throw themselves on Lucky who struggles and shouts his text.
- Given the
existence as uttered forth in the public works of Puncher
and Wattmann of a personal God quaquaquaqua with white beard quaquaquaqua outside time without extension
who from the heights of divine apathia divine athambia divine aphasia loves
us dearly with some exceptions for reasons unknown but time will tell and
suffers like the divine Miranda with those who for reasons unknown but time
will tell are plunged in torment plunged in fire whose fire flames if that
continues and who can doubt it will fire the firmament that is to say blast
hell to heaven so blue still and calm so calm with a calm which even though intermittent is better
- . . . tennis . . . the stones . . . so calm . . . Cunard . . . unfinished . . .
- His hat!
- Vladimir seizes Lucky's hat. Silence of Lucky. He falls. Silence. Panting of the victors.
- Vladimir examines the hat, peers inside it.
- Give me that! (He snatches the hat from Vladimir, throws it on the ground, tramples on it.) There's an end to his thinking!
- But will he be able to walk?
- Walk or crawl! (He kicks Lucky.) Up pig!
- Perhaps he's dead.
- You'll kill him.
- Up scum! (He jerks the rope.) Help me!
- Raise him up!
- Vladimir and Estragon hoist Lucky to his feet, support him an instant, then let him go. He falls.
- He's doing it on purpose!
- You must hold him. (Pause.) Come on, come on, raise him up.
- To hell with him!
- Come on, once more.
- What does he take us for?
- They raise Lucky, hold him up.