Search This Blog

19 November 2008

1st Day Issue / Postalo Vleeptron / USA Election 2008 Commemorative

Click image for larger.

Hmmm for reasons which will shortly be revealed, I have rejoined the AML / Artistamps list. And someone has announced an Art Call for a USA Election Commemorative (faux) postage stamp.

This is a very big community, and lots of people hated me because my stamps aren't made of tangible paper or snailmailed to the other members of each Art Call. My palette is entirely electronic (MS_Paint, usually), my stamps are intangible, and I zip them all over the world via e-mail.

One of my stamps was a QuickBasic program -- it looked sorta like a stamp, but it wiggled, it was a wiggling wooden Brio clown. If you have a copy, Please Send It Back To Me, Thank You Very Much. It took me about a week to program it. A stamp made of computer programming code was too suspicious and confusing to a lot of the AML members, Hard Feelings ensued (even though I only sent it to members who requested it).

Jeez -- what do they want from me? I'm the Drunk Driver of Visual Art! And I hate hard work and I hate responsibilities and deadlines and obligations.

But I made lots of pals on AML -- real artists! And they liked my stamps! My screwy stamps have been EXHIBITED in Galleries & Museums! If you can't believe that -- well, neither can I, but it's really happened!

The crap (in this case the explanatory text and the color registration pattern) which isn't the actual stamps is called Selvage or Selvedge. It's a term from fabric craft borrowed by philatelists and stamp artists.

Many of the real faux postal / mail artists have 400-pound perforation machines called the Rosback. Others use a hand tool called the Fiskar perforator. Donald Evans hand-perforated his stamps.

I disclaim all responsibility if you print these out, put glue on the back, and try to send snailmail with them. That Is Against The Law. I guess governments consider it a form of counterfeiting.

PRISONER A: What are you in for?

PRISONER B: They busted me for countefeiting postage stamps.

6 comments:

Tabnali Hanal said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tabnali Hanal said...

Amazing post, thanks for sharing. Perforating machines are essential for any Pressroom. While each machine is different, there are a few setup and operation techniques that they all tend to have in common.woven sacks machinery


Adelaide said...

Really very informative post, thanks for sharing. There are various price ranges offered for perforating equipment nowadays. A large number of renowned brands have a complete line of paper scoring and perforating machines for catering to professional requirements with expertise.Best perforation machines


Adelaide said...

Fantastic blog, thanks for sharing. Perforating machine is an advanced thing with different rational jobs. Its creation is clear and complex, meanwhile, basically to state you punch holes in a rough metal plate just doesn't make its valuation.Best woven sacks machinery

perforating machines said...

Excellent blog, thanks for sharing. There are distinctive esteem ranges offered for puncturing equipment nowadays. Endless brands have an aggregate line of paper scoring and puncturing machines for considering capable necessities with dominance.perforation machines

perforating machines said...

Hello, your blog is very informative, thanks for sharing. Perforated metal tubing can be made in steel, stainless steel, titanium, tin, brass, aluminum and even some exotic metals such as Hastelloy, which maintains its properties in extreme heat and resists oxidation, and Monel, which is made of nickel and copper, along with trace amounts of iron, manganese, carbon, and silicon. Stronger than nickel, this alloy is resistant to corrosion by many agents, including rapidly flowing seawater.Best woven sacks machinery