Search This Blog

20 June 2009

snapshot from the USA's War On Drugs



Comment to Nicholas Kristof's

Time to Legalize Drugs?

oped column in The New York Times:

===========================

545.
June 19, 2009 1:50 pm Link

I hope they free my brother someday. He has been in prison for 18 years for selling LSD. He is a non-violent “deadhead” drug offender. He received 2 life sentences with no parole. He sent LSD through the mail which made it federal and he sent it to friends which made it a “conspiracy.” He had 1 prior charge for LSD and a no contest plea for Ecstacy. This made him a “career criminal.” So, life in prison, without the possibility of parole. Timothy L. Tyler, 99672-012. My Dad also received a few hits of acid and served 8 and 1/2 years for the same case. My dad had one prior of marijuanna from 30 year prior, so this was a minumum mandatory 10 years in prison. He died in prison when he was 53. Timothy V. Tyler. You can check on bop.org inmate search.


Anyway, the punishments do not fit the crimes. I miss my brother. He was 22 when he went in, and he’s 40 now, almost 41. He can only hope Obama gives him a pardon I guess. I pray…I cry.

— Carrie Tyler


No comments: