Search This Blog

28 August 2007

Finally! I met my Hero! Me and Smokey Bear! at the Cummington Fair!

Please keep watching Vleeptron for lots more photos, and a metric shitload of thrilled words, about our Sunday at the Cummington Fair!

Hmmmm, sorry about my smile, I need to get my lower choppers fixed. But I won't let my vanity (enormous) stand in the way of posting this photo of me and my lifelong hero!

What a nice bear! What a great lifetime of great achievement!

He really was almost burned to death in a forest fire when he was a cub, you know. I think in New Mexico. Rangers found him all singed and smoking and clinging high up in a tree -- where his mom had sent him for safety. That's really true.


Smokey Bear's Song

With a Ranger's hat and shovel
and a pair of dungarees,
you will find him in the forest
always sniffin' at the breeze.
People stop and pay attention
when he tells 'em to beware,
'cause ev'rybody knows that
he's the Fire Prevention Bear.

Smokey the Bear, Smokey the Bear.
Prowlin' and a-growlin' and a-sniffin' the air.
He can find a fire before it starts to flame.
That's why they call him Smokey,
That was how he got his name.

You can take a tip from Smokey
that there's nothin' like a tree.
'cause they're good for kids to climb in
and they're beautiful to see,
you just have to look around you
and you'll find it's not a joke,
to see what you'd be missin'
if they all went up in smoke.

You can camp upon his doorstep
and he'll make you feel at home;
You can run and hunt and ramble
anywhere you care to roam.
He will let you take his honey
and pretend he's not so smart,
but don't you harm his trees
for he's a Ranger in his heart.

If you've ever seen the forest
when a fire is running wild,
and you love the things within it
like a mother loves her child,
then you know why Smokey tells you
when he sees you passing through,
'Remember ... please be careful ....
it's the least that you can do.'

2 comments:

Amy Stone said...

Oh yay! We finally get a Bob picture! (I'm sure you said the same thing when we linked the Amy/Mike borg picture...although that one doesn't nearly do us justice...we don't actually have no hair/borg implants/cheesy smiles)...

I'm thinkin the last picture we got was the one that's still sitting on the Youkali webpage! :o

(BTW...I'm jealous that you got to pose with Smokey Bear...way jealous!)

Vleeptron Dude said...

Oh, I am declaring a New Law for the Milky Way and the Dwingeloo-2 Galaxy: WRITE ALL NAMES, DATES & OTHER IMPORTANT INFO ON ALL FAMILY PHOTOGRAPHS! (Or like this e-photo, write it on an edited version.)

Do I have to spell the reason out? My poor mom and her photo albums ... as the years went by, more and more uncles, aunts, cousins, friends just faded into Anonymity. Not Alzheimer's, just The Inevitable Forgetting Erosion of Time ... and nobody'd ever written "Aunt Sarah 1939" or "Cousin Chuck Atlantic City 1942." There they still were, but nobody could remember who the heck they were.

Not everything is made Better by stapling a Number to it, but I wonder how many million acres of forests never burned and how many millions of forest critters never had to flee for their lives because Smokey sang his song to all those generations of little kids. When I saw him on the fair midway -- I *REALLY* got excited and smiled. I was a little embarrassed to ask him to pose, but he just put his arm around me and shook my hand and was so friendly! What a great bear!