Search This Blog

04 December 2007

Oh No! My MEMORY is Kaput! / Also, big news: We don't need books anymore! I can get rid of all that Book Clutter!

Copyright (c) 2007 by Uwe Bressem,
All Rights Reserved.


My worst fear has come true. My beautiful, wonderful, near-photographic, amazing, synesthetic memory is broken. I have trusted my wonderful memory to reconstruct a famous old physics class poster -- and I'm wrong!

Here is the true, corrected old poster, received this morning from the Berliner/Wedding artist/Kunstler and chef (I think this word exists only in French) Uwe Bressem.

And I can testify from personal experience: He knows his gravy. My memory of all his sauces -- that's still crisp and clear.

~ ~ ~

It's this nervous breakdown I am having cleaning up this horrible radioaktiv toxik office so I can get the new Vleeptron Supercomputer installed.

Yesterday the Professional Woman I hired to help me clean up this Mother Of All Messes began our 3-hour session by asking:


"Do you really need all these books?"

She wanted me to throw out my books. I have a small office and a small house, and I have so many books, and they take up so much space.

She told me that these days, you can get almost every book you want from the Internet. So you don't need books anymore.

We compromised. I put my diamonds, my gold, my silver, my emeralds, my pearls, my coins, my paper currency into my 4x4 pickup truck and took them all to the City Dump. I threw out the hot tub with the identical triplet redheaded freckled cheerleaders Tifani, Amber and Heather. I kept the books.

3 comments:

James J. Olson said...

"Do you really need all these books?"

You should immediately fire that wholly unsuitable woman.

Vleeptron Dude said...

oh she's just trying to do the very difficult job i very badly need her to do. not everybody feels about books the way i do.

it's never come to this, but do you remember the scene in Fahrenheit 451 when the "fire department" tells the old lady to leave her book-filled house because they're going to set it on fire -- and she smiles and just stands where she is while her thousands of beloved books go up in flames. i have feelings about my books that properly people ought to reserve only for living things. but i guess i look at a book and perceive a living thing -- or a thing far more vibrant, thrilling and alive than many people i know.

She picked up the first book to ask me how important it was to save: Watson's "Molecular Biology of the Gene." I think I screamed a little.

James J. Olson said...

Bob, you need not explain any of this to me. You've been to both my home and my office.

My entire professional library (except for a couple of essentials I thought I might need before I get my next position) are in storage, someplace in Framingham.

It is killing me.