Search This Blog

04 October 2006

going to lay down my sword and shield down by the riverside / when I lay my burden down

A few posts ago I showed the symbol of the War Resisters Support Campaign / Campagne d'appui aux résistantEs à la guerre, which helps American military deserters in Canada defend themselves and fight being returned to the United States.

Incidently, the Toronto solicitor most active in giving legal aid to American deserters was a U.S. draft evader during the Vietnam War, who became a Canadian citizen and went to Canadian law school. There is a deep historical continuity across the border. Extending back into the past long before the Vietnam War.

I have taken the liberty of modifying the WRSC's image to a form more appropriate for soldiers like me. As soldiers like me chose to turn their backs on a despicable war against Asian non-Christian non-white strangers, we would have laid down not our M16s, but our somewhat different but equally necessary war weapon.

After the great American 100-Hour Victory of Desert Storm (1991), General "Stormin' Norman" Schwarzkopf told his troops that any soldier who clerks and types (rather than humps and shoots) is (a vulgar, uncomplimentary term for) a homosexual.

No comments: