Search This Blog

19 October 2006

up from the fœtid Comment Sewers flowing beneath Ciudad Vleeptron: Guy says he know what The Stuff is

Hmmm ... maybe you shouldn't Click.
It'll just get confusing.

Once I was the King of Spain
Now the Leafs call me up to drive the Zamboni

Once I was the King of Spain
Now I work at the Pizza Pizza

-- Moxy Fruvous

===============

/me raises his hand. i know! i know!

Posted by Abbas Halai to Vleeptron_Z at 10/18/2006 10:19:37 PM

===============

Wow -- this was a close one. I was whizzing past Toronto and the Tim Horton's near Anxiety Airport couple of weeks ago. I might have had to pony up some Pizza Pizza.

(Still no envelope from 407ETR. They were bluffing! Robots can bluff and try to intimidate you! Awesome!)

Meanwhile, a visual clue. Any translations or local insights greatly appreciated; I declare you Agence-Vleeptron Presse's Man-On-The-Ground, or Agronomist, or whatever.

This image dates from around 1850-1860. I'll post the text under the image, but take a whack at what the image says about itself.

I thought you said you were a City Guy. Hmmmm okay I was a City Boy but moved here near cows and bears and I like to learn stuff about where my Food comes from.

The first guess from patruralch, the German Translator Bot called it Clap Poppy or Poppy. Definitely The Wrong Stuff.

So spill it here loud and clear, nail your Pizza Pizza, what's the Stuff? Is The Right Stuff easy to buy in Toronto?

3 comments:

Abbas Halai said...

it's a grass. most likely wheat.

as for the picture above, i got no clue what it reads. the handwriting is too ancient for me to figure out. and too scribbled.

many lunar cycles ago, from grade 7 general science class, where Mr. Z Rahman taught me the the sexual reproduction of the hibiscus flower. i know all about stamens and stigmas and testas and carpels and gametes and zygotes and pericarps.

Vleeptron Dude said...

The heck with it, I'm gonna buy myself a pizza. It's Rice, Oryza sativa, which indeed, like wheat, was once upon a time a grass, so I guess you get a half slice with Kraft cheese.

I filched this image from the British Library, so some long-ago Raj Brit filched it from its rightful owners, or paid far too little for it.

In my homework about Rice, I learned there's Big Rice News going on right now.

Rice right off the stalk is rich in Vitamin A, but the Vitamin A is all in the pericarp skin surrounding the edible endosperm. The pericarp is rich in oils which rot easily, and so most rice harvesting immediately gets rid of the Vitamin-rich pericarp to give rice a long storage life in warehouse bags.

Mranwhile, throughout the 3rd World, in the very same regions that eat rice as the primary grain staple, an astonishing number of infants go blind and die from a dietary lack of Vitamin A (alpha and beta carotene). They're all eating rice, but getting no life-saving Vitamin A.

So during the last few years, FrankenFood Scientists have genetically modified rice so it dumps Vitamin A in the endosperm/grain, the part of the plant you eat. The buzzword -- an authentically exciting development -- is *Golden Rice*.

When (maybe already) Golden Rice is put on the market in large quantities, I'll be very curious to know how much more expensive it is than ordinary rice.

So here's the art snapshot of Kashmiri Muslim and Hindu rice cultivation. Them's birds eating the harvested rice.

=======

Water colour painting done in the Kashmiri style sometime between 1850 and 1860, it is an excellent illustration of the different stages involved in the preparation of paddy for sale. The uppermost register shows a huge heap of freshly harvested sheaves of paddy, being pecked at by birds while bare-chested labourers beat it for separating the rice grains from the chaff. Below this, the heap of winnowed paddy is being weighed before being packed into twin-chambered saddle-bags for carrying to the market on horse-back. The central register shows a Hindu holy man being consulted by a farmer, possibly about his agricultural prospects. While the farm labourers shown here appear to be Muslim, the more responsible tasks like supervising the threshing activity and weighing out the grain are being performed by turbaned men who appear to be non-Muslim.

Anonymous said...

off white outlet
yeezy 350
curry shoes