Search This Blog

25 October 2006

USA bans import of Vegemite, which all Australians need to stay alive

Vegemite is also banned on Vleeptron. Have you ever tasted this stuff?

The Sunday Mail / The Courier-Mail
Queensland Australia / Murdoch
Sunday 22 October 2006


US bans Vegemite


by Kelvin Healey

THE United States has slapped a ban on Vegemite, outraging Australian expatriates there.

The bizarre crackdown was prompted because Vegemite contains folate, which in the US can be added only to breads and cereals.

Expatriates say that enforcement of the ban has been stepped up recently and is ruining lifelong traditions of having Vegemite on toast for breakfast.

Former Geelong man Daniel Fogarty, who now lives in Calgary, Canada, said he was stunned when searched while crossing the US border recently.

"The border guard asked us if we were carrying any Vegemite," Mr Fogarty said.

"I was flabbergasted." Paul Watkins, who owns a store called About Australia in San Antonio, Texas, said he had been forced to stop importing Vegemite six months ago.

"We have completely stopped bringing it in," he said.

"(US authorities) have made a stance and there is nothing that can be done about it."

- 30 -

Have Your Say
Latest Comments:

This decision is about as intelligent as their Iraq strategy.
Posted by: Greg P. of Brisbane 12:46pm today

Helllo?!?!?!?...........Did someone not tell the US authorities that Vegemite is actually owned by the large American company Kraft......If it is illegal in their country.....then GIVE IT BACK!!!!!!!!
Posted by: Maev of Australia 12:22pm today

....Gee banning vegemite, crap rap slander of Steve Irwin... seems the yanks don't really care for anything Australian much... Glad we're on their side...NOT!!!
Posted by: foz of 11:21am today

This is Purely and simply a political push from a commercial lobby.
Posted by: Ivor Smith of 11:12am today

In reply to the doctor...

That would be a good point if Vegemite wasn't a great source of B group vitamins (including B 12).
Posted by: Anna-Maria of Auckland, NZ 10:58am today

Clearly Bandwagon you do not travel beyond your own country because you would not have made a statement like that if you had. Try being an Aussie going thru your bloody country....
Posted by: Jen M of Canada 10:31am today

www.vegemite.com.au
Posted by: Greg Wassell of Newcastle 10:23am today


© Queensland Newspapers. All times AEST (GMT + 10).

3 comments:

James J. Olson said...

Farking ponces. God, I hate our government sometimes.

Vleeptron Dude said...

I'm sure there are lots of things ... well, maybe a few things ... that the government does that would make me happy and grateful and admiring (I think there's still a Peace Corps, but who knows what a Bush Administration Peace Corps is like?), but you raise an interesting question: When DON'T we hate our government? When do we LIKE our government? Was it always like this feeling of government miasma and dread?

(Kafka and Max Weber would say: It was always like this. That's just how bureaucracies always are.)

Meanwhile ... does a part of your Comment reflect an unusually close relationship with and fondness for Vegemite?

Been there, ate that -- and in the words of a co-worker I let sample my souvenir jar: JESUS MARY AND JOSEPH!

That stuff is foul. I guess I'd feel differently if my parents had spoonfed it to me three times a day since I was three days old.

My cats LOVED it, though!

James J. Olson said...

Hm...an interesting question.

I loved our government when I was a child and didn't know any better. I thought the best thing I ever heard of was that people we elected went to Washington and did Good Things because we were America.

I loved our government when I signed on the dotted line to join the Navy.

I like Vegemite. Marmite is a similar thing, from the UK. I believe you can still get Marmite.