an inexcusably tardy but nonetheless fervent Ramadan Kareem
Okay, well, we've been on a long, complicated, exhausting trip. Through Islam-Lite regions. Not a lot of warnings that Ramadan was nearly upon us in Nova Scotia. Maybe if I'd paid closer attention in Montreal or Halifax, I might have gotten a clue. But I would have had to look pretty closely. Mostly I was looking at timetables and itineraries.
Anyway, tardy as we embarrassingly are, Ramadan Kareem to all. The wish is in no way less.
Here's an English-language site, posts from people all over the world about their local Ramadan observances, exchanging wishes, telling little stories.
This year, because Ramadan is triggered by the Moon, and where it can be seen, Ramadan seems to have begun in India. Wikipedia confidently says Ramadan 2008 / 1429 begins 2 September and ends 1 October.
www.holidays.net appears to delve more deeply into the complicated and multiple answer to the simple question.
Islamic Calendar 2008 - 2015
(We have made every effort to assure that the dates below are correct)
According to the Islamic Society of North America the first day of fasting for Ramadan 2008 is expected to be September 01st. (depending on where you live)
CURRENT MOON waxing gibbous
moon phases 83% of full
thu 11 sep 2008
Islamic Events 2008*
* Eid-al-Adha (10th Zul-Hijjah) December 20, 2007
* Israa'/Me'raj (Night Journey to Heavens) July 29, 2008
* Lailatul-Bara'at (Night of Salvation) August 15, 2008
* 1st Ramadan (Fasting Begins) September 01, 2008 *
* Lailatul-Qadr (Night of Power) September 26, 2008
* Eid-al-Fitr (End of Ramadan) October 01, 2008
* Yaum-al-Arafah (Day of Arafaat (Hajj)) December 07, 2008
* Eid-al-Adha (10th Zul-Hijjah) December 08, 2008
*Ramadan 2008: The first day of Ramadan (fasting) in North America according to sighting, is expected to be September 02. However, according to Saudi Ummul-Qura calendar, Fiqh Council of North America, and European Council for Fatwa and Research, the first day of Ramadan is on Monday, September 01, 2008.
According to a new Fatawa from Deoband, India, the first day of Ramadan in UK will be September 02, because the moon should be easily seen by naked eye from Australia to Morocco. In Pakistan also, sighting will be easy on September 01, and first day of Ramadan will also be September 02.
(source: Moonsighting.com) [updated 08/25/2008]
Islamic Events 2009*
* Al-Hijra (Islamic New Year) December 29, 2008
* Israa'/Me'raj (Night Journey to Heavens) July 19, 2009
* Lailatul-Bara'at (Night of Salvation) August 05, 2009
* 1st Ramadan (Fasting Begins) August 22, 2009
* Lailatul-Qadr (Night of Power) September 16, 2009
* Eid-al-Fitr (End of Ramadan) September 20, 2009
* Eid-Al-Adha: November 27, 2009
Labels: Ramadan Kareem